Drilling and Fixing
Putting Things Up
Decorating a Room
Safety & Security
Saving Energy
House and Finance



Useful Links
Site Map


  Types of hinge                  

Butt hinge The most common type of hinge. Used for room doors, front doors etc.To fit you'll need to chisel out a rebate for the hinge to sit in. They come in loads of sizes and weights. E.g. 4 inch heavy duty butt hinge for heavy front doors. Available in brass, chrome, or grey.


Flush hinge. Used for light weight cupboard doors. These are easy to fit as their clever design means you don't have to chisel out a rebate. BUT they aren't strong enough for heavy doors. Available in brass or chrome.


Concealed sprung hinge. A very common hinge used for cupboard doors, especially kitchens units. You can't see them from the out side and because they are sprung you don't need a door catch. Quite fiddly to fit as you need a special flat drill bit to cut deep flat holes in the doors with little room for error. (kitchen units come with the holes pre-drilled.


Tee hinge. Used outside for garden gates or shed doors etc. Easy to fit they simply screw straight on. Available in black or galvanised(shiny rust resistant) metal


Bands and gudgeons. Used outside for very heavy doors like garage door. They are partly fitted with screws and also bolts going through the door to add extra strength. Available in black or galvanised metal. The come in two pieces. The band slides over the gudgeon so you can actually lift the door off when its open.


Parliament hinge. Slightly more unusual hinge type. This one is used on internal doors where you want the door to fold back to 180 degrees(right back against the wall). They project out from the door which means they won't catch on the door frame architrave or skirting when fully at 180degrees. Available in brass, chrome, or grey